Tuesday, June 17, 2008

.: Köln

1st row L-R: Gare du Nord, Paris - food in TGV
2nd row L-R : interesting fresco in Köln Cathedral - Almond Pretzel

We took the TGV-Thalys line from Paris to Köln on the 2nd day. I think Gare du Nord is the equivalent to Grand Central Station or Union Station in the states and there are several train lines including the famed Eurostar (from Paris to London). There were lots of gypsies in the station and we were warned to really, really keep watchful eyes on our purses and wallets because the Gypsy pickpockets work in team, very discreet and fast. At first I was a bit nauseous in the train because unlike the Eurostar, the TGV is dirty and the toilet was just unbelievably horrendous. It took us 4 hrs from Paris to Köln with two main stops in Brussel and Aachen. Along the way I can see small towns, charming farmhouses, lakes and rivers, vineyards (yes, Germany has vineyards too).
I've been to the Köln Cathedral before but still charmed by it. I think wikipedia can explain it better than me ;D What I found interesting is, within several steps from almost all major churches in Europe, you can almost always find major shopping area. And for sure you can find at least one Louis Vuitton store within a short walk from the church... a whole other religion there... :D

No comments: